Hair extensions take a little more time & dedicated care in your hair care regime to get the most out of them and so that they look their best; but we thought we would get multi-award winning celebrity extensionist & founder of her own hair extensions brand, Inanch for her top five MUST’s:
- Always use approved aftercare products prescribed by your hair extensionist. Using the wrong shampoo, conditioner or styling product can reduce the lifespan of your hair extensions. Shampoo and condition your hair at least once a week. Any conditioner or conditioning treatments should be applied to the mid-lengths and ends of your hair only and not the hair extension bond itself.
- Do not towel dry your hair extensions with a scrubbing motion. Use a blotting motion instead and wrap the hair in a towel to remove excess moisture. Always blow-dry your hair on a cool / warm temperature – not hot which may damage the bonds, micro rings or weft – whichever method of extensions you’re wearing.
- Brush your hair on a daily basis and always use a soft bristle brush when brushing your hair extensions. With small sections of hair, gently brush from the bonds to the ends of the hair. Do not comb the hair between the scalp and the bond. Never backcomb your hair extensions! On a regular basis, separate the bonds with your fingers to prevent matting. Keep any hair straighteners, tongs and heated rollers away from the bonds of the hair extensions.
- Before going to bed, tie your hair in a loose ponytail or plait your hair before sleeping to prevent any tangling of your hair extensions while sleeping. Even better try the Gold Class Silky Hair Days™ cap.
- Always go back to your extensionist for a maintenance check and have your extensions professionally removed within the specified period. Removing the extensions yourself or by an unqualified stylist can cause serious damage to your own hair and scalp. Give your hair a 2-3 week break with regular hair treatments prior to having a new set of hair extensions.